Subject: Re: New X distribution
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/11/1997 15:27:14
At 12:25 PM 11/11/97, Colin Wood wrote:
>Ken Nakata wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 10 Nov 1997 20:56:24 -0500 (EST),
>> Michael R Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu> wrote:
>> >
>> > The big question is what to do when I add functionality for *resolution*
>> > switching. I was thinking along the lines of the linux-pmac idea of
>> > having fixed mode numbers but I've been looking more and more at letting
>> > user-land have more control. Perhaps both would be good, especially since
>> > we're going to have to do support for cards through the ROMs and the
>> > Mac OS DRVR calls use mode numbers instead of values like vertical back
>> > porches and the like.
>>
>> While at the fundamental level I really like this idea of "letting
>> user-land have more control", I'd really hate to see an XF86Config-ish
>> initial set-up process...  It's a night mare for non-display-gurus to
>> set up the right display signal timings, and definitely not the way to
>> go, IMHO.  Having said that, I can't think of an alternative way for
>> letting user have more control over the resolution and color depth.
>
>Maybe I'm missing something here (probably so ;-), but couldn't we simply
>pass resolution and color-depth to the Xserver as arguments?  Perhaps

If I may I'd like to insert my usual plug about supporting MaxApplZoom
(sp?).  N. Hori (sp?) put a lot of work into figuring how to reprogram the
original Toby card to do stuff that the Apple ROMS wouldn't let them do.
The only "support" needed in X is to just take the hardware at
face/existing value and use it as-is.  This has always worked with the ite
driver.  Not sure about the grf driver.