Subject: Re: Return to the City of Connectix Virtual PC vs. NetBSD/FreeBSD
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG, earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
From: Matthias Drochner <drochner@zelux6.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/11/1997 21:47:26
Excerpts from netbsd: 11-Nov-97 Return to the City of Conne.. Greg
Earle@isolar.Tujung (2325*)

> The 1.2D default install floppy (with PCI_CONF_MODE not set) still tries to
> probe the emulated PCI bus in mode 2, and fails ... (finds nothing on
the bus).
> Doh!  So near, but yet so far ...

I have a different pci mode detection in the queue for a while,
but this needs broad testing, so I didn't push yet.
Do you want to try?
If yes, do you need a kernel binary?

For PCI experts out there: Can anybody enlighten me what the
second check for mode 1 in FreeBSD:sys/i386/isa/pcibus.c is
good for? It checks for writability of bit 0 of port 0xcf8.
According to Intel chipset docs, this bit is "reserved", so it seems
wrong to me to count on any defined behaviour.

best regards
Matthias