Subject: Re: New X distribution
To: None <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@remus.rutgers.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/11/1997 11:13:28
On Mon, 10 Nov 1997 20:56:24 -0500 (EST),
Michael R Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu> wrote:

> The big question is what to do when I add functionality for *resolution*
> switching. I was thinking along the lines of the linux-pmac idea of
> having fixed mode numbers but I've been looking more and more at letting
> user-land have more control. Perhaps both would be good, especially since
> we're going to have to do support for cards through the ROMs and the
> Mac OS DRVR calls use mode numbers instead of values like vertical back
> porches and the like.

While at the fundamental level I really like this idea of "letting
user-land have more control", I'd really hate to see an XF86Config-ish
initial set-up process...  It's a night mare for non-display-gurus to
set up the right display signal timings, and definitely not the way to
go, IMHO.  Having said that, I can't think of an alternative way for
letting user have more control over the resolution and color depth.

Ken