Subject: Re: 1.2.x --> 1.3_ALPHA upgrade
To: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
From: Mark Andres <mark@ratbert.aisol.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/11/1997 23:59:53
Hi,

I think the differences in the networking would be another good thing to
add to the ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.3_ALPHA/mac68k/UPGRADE
file.  Again, if people upgrade from 1.2.x to 1.3 without running current,
their networking will be broken.

I didn't have this problem since I had set up netowrking "by hand" in
/etc/netstart.  It's an old habit from BSDI 2.x.

Mark

On Sun, 9 Nov 1997, Hauke Fath wrote:

> I've had some hours of fun with upgrading my 1.2G Quadra 700 to the
> 1.3alpha snapshot of November 1st. Not with untarring, taht went fine, and
> I had just in time read the advice to install the 1.3alpha kernel first.
>
> Instead, networking was a  roadblock for me. I had upgraded /etc to
> -current around May; when I booted the new system, onboard ethernet showed
> up (sn0) but rarpd died with something like "no interface available" and
> ping said "network down". I had a "hostname.sn0" in /etc with ifconfig
> options, and after a night of sleep or two and some poking around in
> /etc/netstart I realized that "hostname.sn0" should now be called
> "ifconfig.sn0" for whatever reason.
>
> Boot messages sounded reasonable now, sn0 showed up as configured, but
> still no success: I had used the contents of "hostname.sn0" which had a
> broadcast address and debug option in it. Apparently ifconfig silently died
> on that and wasn't happy until I removed the additional options.
>
> "ifconfig.sn0" now has "inet q700 netmask 0xFFFFFF00" in it (maybe there
> should be a sample file in /etc ?).
>
> A second problem that I see is mountd(8) hanging at boot time; tbe boot
> doesn't continue until I hit ctrl-c. Yes, I deleted /sbin/mountd; and no, I
> don't recall related messages on current-users (but the S/N ratio is pretty
> bad out there at the moment 8/ ).
>
> 	hauke
>

> --
> "It's never straight up and down"     (DEVO)

Mark Andres                  E-mail: mark@ratbert.aisol.net
          Running NetBSD, 100% Microsoft Free!
Me: /www2.giganet.net/~mark/ NetBSD: /bullwinkle.aisol.net/