Subject: L*nux on mac68k, was: kde
To: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.buf.servtech.com>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/11/1997 00:37:37
At 18:19 Uhr +0100 10.11.1997, Michael G. Schabert wrote:
>On Tue, 11 Nov 1997, Mark Andres wrote:

>> I took a look.  The package should include the entire basic system, but it
>> is for Linux-mac68k.  I don't know if it will work under NetBSD or not.  I
>> am in the process of downloading it now, so when i get a chnace to try it,
>> I'll let you know.
>
>Umm...Linux/Mac68k was a VaporWare/dead-end project that never surfaced.
>Some people from the NetBSD/AltMacOS community have recently looked into
>attempting to resume work on it. To my knowlege, however, there's no
>working kernel & so no need for a GUI yet.

Mark probably wanted to say "m68k", i.e. the atari & amiga ports.
There is indeed an ongoing effort to port L*nux to the mac68k with all the
noise  that makes the L*nux crowd so annoying -- after all, they invented
the Free Un*x. Kind of fun watching them fighting battles to come up "RSN"
with features that MacBSD has had for years.

>Please correct me if I'm wrong, as I'd be very interested in a MacLinux.

IMO L*nux is far too i386 centric (they turned "all the world's a VAX" into
"all the world runs on Int*l arch") to provide much leverage to m68k
architectures. They even nailed down little-endian byte order for ext2fs,
I've heard.

YMMV...   ;)

	hauke