Subject: Bad & Good news. (Booter & LC575 respectively)
To: Ivan Curtis <icurtis@radlogic.com.au>
From: None <nigel@ind.tansu.com.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/11/1997 01:25:01
* First the bad news. Booter1.11.1b7 is bad. Total waste of electrons.
  It doesn't even do what a booter is meant to do (i.e. boot a kernel).
  Please don't bother downloading it.

  Congratulations to a fellow Australian, Ivan Curtis, for discovering
  this, less than half an hour after I mailed the list for testers.

* Now the good news. There is a new Booter on Puma (ftp.macbsd.com) in
  /pub/incoming/Booter1.11.1b8.sea.hqx
  You will probably not be able to ftp it from there until Allen puts it
  somewhere respectable, though.
  I tested this one a little more thoroughly, and it does boot this time!

* This Booter has a new feature which will be of interest to owners of
  LC/Performa 575 style machines. In the Booting dialog is a new item
  called "Video address hack (for LC575 & LC475?)" which enabled me to
  get the internal video working as a console on my LC575.

  Note that this is a hack. It hard codes the address. It was missing a
  few lines out on my machine. It will not work on anything except a 575
  or 475.

  Please don't use it if you have a machine with valuable data on it.

* Recent custom kernels by Allen Briggs may have semi-working ethernet
  (with CS ethernet cards) on LC575s. The kernel "netbsd-971105.gz"
  output:

sn0 at obi0 address 00:a0:40:20:35:0f

  which looks a lot like an Apple/Sonic ethernet card to me. I asked it
  to try and mount Root (I was booting off a floppy at the time) from
  "sn0" and it did the RARP and flashed the lights on the card.

  This is most excellent news!

  Allen, I reckon you should put that code in 1.3 if possible.

--
| Nigel Pearson, nigel@ind.tansu.com.au |"People say I'm strange, does it  |
|  Telstra IN Platforms, Sydney, Aust.  | make me a stranger?              |