Subject: Re: New X distribution
To: Ken Nakata <kenn@remus.rutgers.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/10/1997 16:48:40
Ken Nakata wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Nov 1997 15:24:31 -0800 (PST),
> "Colin Wood" <cwood@ichips.intel.com> wrote:
> > Ken Nakata wrote:
> > >
> > > It's not exactly a disk problem, but yes, I'm having trouble accessing
> > > my server source on my disk... :-(
> >
> > Is there any way we can help?
>
> Yes, as a matter of fact, there is.  If anyone with a NetBSD/mac68k
> machine on the Net could allow my disk to be connected to the machine
> so that I could mount it from here and do whatever necessary, it'd be
> a matter of minutes to salvage the code.

Doh...sorry, I'm behind a firewall now.  You might want to look for
someone on the east coast as well, tho, Allen?

> The only Mac we have at home is my wife's and I can't run NetBSD on
> it.  Besides, it seems that it's got the buggy LC040 chip... *doh*

Well, all you have to do is upgrade to a full '040 ;-)  I assume when you
say "buggy", you mean the one that will never support FPE, right?

> > This is really nice, btw.  Although I think I've seen it fail on a couple
> > of occasions.  If I can ever repeat it, I'll let you know more...
>
> I have no idea why, but it can.  I have never had a chance to test the
> code extensively... ;-)

Well, once we get color working a little more stably, perhaps someone can
pound on it a little.

> > > BTW, can we expect the color grf ioctl() API will remain the same in
> > > future developments?
> >
> > I think that Michael Zucca is exporting basically the same API for his
> > intvid driver, and Paul's SLOTMAN kernels do the same, I believe...so if
> > you want to make changes, do it now, while this stuff is still in early
> > development stages ;-)
>
> No, I do neither want nor not want to change the API.  But I simply
> wasn't sure whether the status quo was (quasi/semi/whatever-)
> officially the way to go.
>
> I still think it'd be a good thing to have Xnetbsd_m68k instead of the
> whole array of Xnetbsd_mac68k, Xnetbsd_amiga, Xnetbsd_atari,
> Xnetbsd_hp300, Xnetbsd_sun3, Xnetbsd_x68k, etc.  And of course, we
> all'd agree on device driver APIs on grf/kbd/mouse devices for that.

It would be nice to be able to share as much as possible ;-)

I've thought a lot about making the adb a real bus and having ms and kbd
drivers (there are some interesting gotchas...but nothing insurmountable,
I don't think); it shouldn't be too hard once the interface has been
decided.  Does anyone know of a particular API for the ms and kbd devices
that should be followed?

Laters.