Subject: Re: New X distribution
To: None <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@remus.rutgers.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/10/1997 18:36:38
On Mon, 10 Nov 1997 15:24:31 -0800 (PST),
"Colin Wood" <cwood@ichips.intel.com> wrote:
> Ken Nakata wrote:
> >
> > It's not exactly a disk problem, but yes, I'm having trouble accessing
> > my server source on my disk... :-(
>
> Is there any way we can help?

Yes, as a matter of fact, there is.  If anyone with a NetBSD/mac68k
machine on the Net could allow my disk to be connected to the machine
so that I could mount it from here and do whatever necessary, it'd be
a matter of minutes to salvage the code.

The only Mac we have at home is my wife's and I can't run NetBSD on
it.  Besides, it seems that it's got the buggy LC040 chip... *doh*

> This is really nice, btw.  Although I think I've seen it fail on a couple
> of occasions.  If I can ever repeat it, I'll let you know more...

I have no idea why, but it can.  I have never had a chance to test the
code extensively... ;-)

> > BTW, can we expect the color grf ioctl() API will remain the same in
> > future developments?
>
> I think that Michael Zucca is exporting basically the same API for his
> intvid driver, and Paul's SLOTMAN kernels do the same, I believe...so if
> you want to make changes, do it now, while this stuff is still in early
> development stages ;-)

No, I do neither want nor not want to change the API.  But I simply
wasn't sure whether the status quo was (quasi/semi/whatever-)
officially the way to go.

I still think it'd be a good thing to have Xnetbsd_m68k instead of the
whole array of Xnetbsd_mac68k, Xnetbsd_amiga, Xnetbsd_atari,
Xnetbsd_hp300, Xnetbsd_sun3, Xnetbsd_x68k, etc.  And of course, we
all'd agree on device driver APIs on grf/kbd/mouse devices for that.

Ken