Subject: telnet/ftp access question
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: DJ Lo-Ki <lo-ki@pinsky.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/10/1997 18:21:33
Hi everyone... I've been lurking on this list for a little while and now
feel comfortable posting my own experience here (I hope this isn't a
stupid question, I try to read every faq and man page before I ask...)

I recently set up a IIci with version 1.2.1. It has 20MB RAM, a 250MB
hard drive a "type A" ethernet card (sorry, no other info as far as I can
tell) which seems functional.

I partitioned the drive into a 25MB mac partition (minimal system folder
and install files) and a 20MB Swap partition and the rest into a root/usr
AUX partition.

I used mkfs to make a root/user partition, andthen used the installer to
install the complete package. then I selected "Build Devices" and when it
was done, rebooted.

I set up an acct for myself and then sat down to the task of getting it
on the network at my job (large corporate ethernet network) I gave it an
IP address, set up the DNS and routing info in the /etc directory
following the online instructions. all seemed well.

next I set up the localhost with "ifconfig localhost inet lo0 127.0.0.1"
also my ethernet card with "ifconfig inet ae0 <my machine's ip> netmask
255.255.255.0"
and "add route default <router ip>"

now, at first I was able to get telnet in (with any valid username) and
ftp in (but only using the acct toor, because root is blocked out and for
some reason it wouldn't let me in with my normal login), but after
re-boot I was unable to get back in, even after re ifconfiging everything.

now when I boot I get this message...

"starting network
ifconfig:net: bad value
add host bsdbox: gateway localhost
writing to routing socket: Network is unreachable
add net default: gateway <router ip#>: Network is unreachable"

any advice??

also from where should I ftp a version of X windows? I can't seem to find
a 1.2.1 version anywhere...

thanks in advance...

Lokke Highstein
lo-ki@pinsky.com