Subject: Re: New X distribution
To: None <kenn@remus.rutgers.edu>
From: Taras Ivanenko <ivanenko@ctpa03.mit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/10/1997 14:57:52
> > idea that kernel can auto-sence the driver (by ioctl's) and either
>             ^^^^^^
> "Server", you mean?

Yes, I was still sleeping while typing that message

> Actually, if you mean "server" by "kernel" above, my latest (which is
> more than a year old...) color server already does that.  It tries to
> init the video mode into 8-bit mode first, and if it fails, it runs as
> though the video mode is init'ed in 1-bit B&W mode through the ioctl()
> call.

I did not notice it during my last attempt to upgrade, it was at some
very unfortunate time when -current was broken. I did not look at
X/kernel interactions since then.

> BTW, can we expect the color grf ioctl() API will remain the same in
> future developments?

I guess we have to ask Paul Goyette and Michael Zucca, they are
working hard on color support. I can not do much now... I made the
original interface to be as close as possible to Mac interface but it
may be better to use, say, SUN interfaces for ioctl() if keyboard and
mouse devices are sufficiently similar. Then there will be no need for
a separate set of patches, we can use the patches from the sun port.

	Taras Ivanenko.