Subject: Re: New X distribution
To: None <ivanenko@ctpa03.mit.edu>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@remus.rutgers.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/10/1997 14:29:57
On Mon, 10 Nov 1997 10:46:35 -0500 (EST),
Taras Ivanenko <ivanenko@ctpa03.mit.edu> wrote:
> I do not have the Xserver patches, in fact, I do not even have the B&W
> Xserver code. (I *did* ask for it some time ago, but...). Ken Nakata
> made the "original" color X but he wrote earlier that he run into some
> disk problems.

It's not exactly a disk problem, but yes, I'm having trouble accessing
my server source on my disk... :-(

> I guess color X can still remain in the "experimental"
> status since 1.3 kernels are not going to support the color. I had an
> idea that kernel can auto-sence the driver (by ioctl's) and either
            ^^^^^^
"Server", you mean?

> switch to color or remain B&W if the color is not available in the
> driver.

Actually, if you mean "server" by "kernel" above, my latest (which is
more than a year old...) color server already does that.  It tries to
init the video mode into 8-bit mode first, and if it fails, it runs as
though the video mode is init'ed in 1-bit B&W mode through the ioctl()
call.

BTW, can we expect the color grf ioctl() API will remain the same in
future developments?

Ken