Subject: Re: whatever happened to my usr slice?
To: Brad Salai <bsalai@servtech.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/10/1997 10:45:40
> >Brad,
> >Here's the other part of the problem. My internal hard disk is at scsi id
> >6, and my external Syquest drive is at scsi id 2. MacBSD refers to the
> >Syquest at /dev/sd0a and the internal disk as sd1a through whatever. the
> >/etc/fstab.sd file refers to the usr slice as being on sd0g, which would

fstab.sd is a sample fstab for folks using scsi disks. fstab.wd is a
sample fstab for folks using IDE drives (on ports which support IDE,
like i386).

> >put it on the Syquest. The Syquest does not have any NetBSD partitions on
> >it, only one Mac partition. I tried referring to the /usr partition as
> >/dev/sd1g and booting failed because the system couldn't find
> >/usr/libexec/tty0e. I tried booting into single user mode to correct the
> >problem, but the filesystem was read only. Do I have to start over from
> >scratch with MacBSD, or can I salvage this installation.

mount /dev/sd1a /
should get YOU the root partition (as your root partition is on sd1).

> There is one other thing, just to make it more interesting, there is a
> special partition, it might be c that netbsd uses for the whole disk.

c si the whole disk. Don't use it unless you want to ruin the formatting
of the whole disk.

> I'm not certain which partition it is, but you should watch out for it.
> Silver lining might give you a clue on this.

It's not in the MacOS partition table. NetBSD sets it up. Silver Lining
won't see it.

Take care,

Bill