Subject: Re: New X distribution
To: None <scottr@og.org>
From: Taras Ivanenko <ivanenko@ctpa03.mit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/10/1997 10:46:35
To the questions of Scott and Gene:

> >   Does Xserver in this distribution support color and, if not, could
> > you make a version which does support it?
>
> It doesn't; I don't have the color X server modifications, and hence they
> aren't in the official X code.  If you (or someone else) could provide a
> pointer to them, I can see about getting them into the code in time for
> release, but I can't make any promises.

> Do you have source for the color Xserver?  I ahve b&w code but it's years
> old.  Thoughts?

I do not have the Xserver patches, in fact, I do not even have the B&W
Xserver code. (I *did* ask for it some time ago, but...). Ken Nakata
made the "original" color X but he wrote earlier that he run into some
disk problems. I guess color X can still remain in the "experimental"
status since 1.3 kernels are not going to support the color. I had an
idea that kernel can auto-sence the driver (by ioctl's) and either
switch to color or remain B&W if the color is not available in the
driver.

	Taras Ivanenko.