Subject: Re: *sniffle* *kick Installer 1.1f*
To: SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/09/1997 16:10:33
SamMaEl wrote:

> 	Well... after repeatedly attempting to boot a variety of kernels,
> and doing everything I could possibly do, I still cannot get brahms, my
> Q630 to boot back into NetBSD. I was installing a .tar file using the
> installer and it crashed partway through into Macsbug with what, I
> think.... it was nearly 8am by this time, it said to be SCSI read error. I
> had to reboot my Mac from Macsbug, because it would not return to
> MacOS.... kept getting an Illegal instruction or Bus Error when I tried to
> es. So, I guess I will give in and finally upgrade from a current-971004
> snapshot to 1.3_ALPHA ;-) I was hoping to hold out until the 1.3
> release...

There's probably not a whole lot of difference between the October 4th
snapshot and the 1.3_ALPHA snapshot (unless Steve has put one up
recently).  By the time we hit 1.3_BETA, tho, there will be a few
low-level changes to the kernel that might make a difference and a lot of
fixes to userland as well.

> 	Anyways, this brings a few questions to mind. 1. What is up with
> the Installer?!? I've gotten nothing but grief from every Installer I have
> used since I first attempted installation back in January. It does NOT
> like my drive I guess... I can give some specs for it if someone wants
> them, and might know what is wrong. 2. Do I need to download the 1.3_ALPHA
> X distribution, or will the 1.2G that I already have work alright? I'd
> like to save a couple hours of downloading if possible... not to mention
> the bandwidth ;-)

The latest version of the installer is 1.1f, I think.  Grab a copy of it
and allocate as much memory to it as you can while you install.  That
might fix your troubles.  There were some problems with 1.1g (I'll go take
it out of the 1.3_ALPHA directory in a couple of minutes).

> 	Luckily, from all of the troubles I have had with the Installer, I
> have a dedicated MacOS partition to hold tarballs and various things I
> download to install into NetBSD... like pine, X, the kernel sources, etc.
> I suggest it to anyone with similar problems ;-)

I generally find that installing from the NetBSD side is definitely a
_lot_ faster :-)

Later.