Subject: Re: *sniffle* *kick Installer 1.1f*
To: Unix Friend <dearman@kendaco.telebyte.com>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/09/1997 15:49:30
On Sun, 9 Nov 1997, Unix Friend wrote:

> About getting rid of the mac side...
>
> How do you do this and still have netbsd boot?
> Can it be done, if so how?

You can't get rid of Mac-side completely.  We still need MacOS to set some
stuff up (memory mapping, mostly) for us.  But, if you put the Booter (or
an alias of it) in your Startup Items folder (within the System folder),
it will launch the Booter as soon as you boot MacOS...

> Plus when i try to format my MAXTOR drive with mkfs it says bad stuff
> something like 1024 blocks per sec
> then it says SCSI() #10  Retry 0,1,2, ect.

Use your favorite low-level formatter (FWB's Hard Disk Toolkit comes to
mind) and reformat the drive with 512-byte sectors.  You may have to fool
around with some of the SCSI control pages...

| Paul Goyette       | PGP Public Key fingerprint:  | E-mail addresses:     |
| Network Consultant |     0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@whooppee.com    |
| and kernel hacker  |     E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul_goyette@ins.com |