Subject: Re: 128MB MO Drive with NetBSD
To: Mark Andres <mark@ratbert.aisol.net>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/09/1997 21:21:24
At 16:04 Uhr +0100 09.11.1997, Mark Andres wrote:

>Bob suggested using Mkfs under MacOS.  I had actually tried that at first.
>I formatted a disk with Silverlining and then tried to get to convert the
>partition with Mkfs.  However, I was getting a greyed-out button for the
>SCSI ID for the MO drive, so I could not select it to convert.

I suspect that is because the MO shows up as "Optical Memory Device" ('07')
on the bus. The Fujitsu M2512 has a dip switch to change that ID to "Direct
Access Device" ('00').

>So, I grabbed the latest version of Mkfs (1.4.5) and tried it. This time,
>It let me have a go at the MO drive.  So I converted the disk partition to
>NetBSD Usr partition.
>
>I thought i had it, so I booted into NetBSD.  But no luck.  This time on
>boot up, I am getting an error reading the drive. The dmesg output is:
>
>  sd0: 699MB, 3658 cyl, 4 head, 97 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 1431760 sectors
>  probe(sbc0:5:0): medium error, data = 00 00 00 00 31 00 00 00 00 00
>  sd1 at scsibus0 targ 5 lun 0: <SONY, SMO-F331-10, 1.21> SCSI2 7/optical
>  removable
>  sd1: sd1(sbc0:5:0): medium error, data = 00 00 00 00 31 00 00 00 00 00
>  drive offline
>
>By that time, it was 3:00AM so I gave up and haven't had a chance to try
>Hauke's or Keiki's suggestions.

;-)

Could you sector check the medium with Silverlining to see whether the
claimed "medium errors" are still there? I *think* the kernel's first disk
access would be an attempt to *read* a disklabel which should not be able
to cause "medium errors" (unlike write accesses -- see PR #2828).

You could also try to boot up with the drive unloaded and try to access it
later.

>BTW, the MO drive is an Epson, old, and slow as sin.  If I get it working,
>I'll let you know.

The kernel thinks it's a Sony. (not a trick =8)

	hauke