Subject: Re: 1.2.x --> 1.3_ALPHA upgrade
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/09/1997 20:45:51
At 4:25 Uhr +0100 09.11.1997, Colin Wood wrote:
>Mark Andres wrote:
>>
>> You're very welcome, Colin. Thank you for making this available. What I am
>> worried about is that many people on port-mac68k are NOT on current-users.
>> People may not be running -current, but might wnat to try upgrading.
>> Those people will miss a lot of discussion of problems and pitfalls. IMO,
>> documentation means letting one poor sucker make mistakes and then have
>> everyone else learn from those mistakes without having to go through the
>> same misery.

[success report]

>Cool.  Anyone one else having problems with 1.3_ALPHA?  It's best to find
>out about it now...

I've had some hours of fun with upgrading my 1.2G Quadra 700 to the
1.3alpha snapshot of November 1st. Not with untarring, taht went fine, and
I had just in time read the advice to install the 1.3alpha kernel first.

Instead, networking was a  roadblock for me. I had upgraded /etc to
-current around May; when I booted the new system, onboard ethernet showed
up (sn0) but rarpd died with something like "no interface available" and
ping said "network down". I had a "hostname.sn0" in /etc with ifconfig
options, and after a night of sleep or two and some poking around in
/etc/netstart I realized that "hostname.sn0" should now be called
"ifconfig.sn0" for whatever reason.

Boot messages sounded reasonable now, sn0 showed up as configured, but
still no success: I had used the contents of "hostname.sn0" which had a
broadcast address and debug option in it. Apparently ifconfig silently died
on that and wasn't happy until I removed the additional options.

"ifconfig.sn0" now has "inet q700 netmask 0xFFFFFF00" in it (maybe there
should be a sample file in /etc ?).

A second problem that I see is mountd(8) hanging at boot time; tbe boot
doesn't continue until I hit ctrl-c. Yes, I deleted /sbin/mountd; and no, I
don't recall related messages on current-users (but the S/N ratio is pretty
bad out there at the moment 8/ ).

	hauke