Subject: Re: whatever happened to my usr slice?
To: Brad Salai <bsalai@servtech.com>
From: Jim Kannengieser <jimk@tuna.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/09/1997 14:40:06
>At 12:59 PM -0500 11/9/97, Jim Kannengieser wrote:
>>Sorry to trouble you all, but I recently installed MacBSD on my SE/30, only
>>to discover that my usr slice isn't mounting. I used La Cie's Silverlining
>>5.7 to create a Root slice, swap slice, and usr slice. /etc/fstab shows the
>>root slice as /dev/sd1a and the swap slice as /dev/sd1b. There is a file
>>called fstab.sd in my /etc directory and it contains a commented-out line
>>that reads:
>>#/dev/sd0g	/usr	ffs rw 1 2
>>
>>The entire fstab.sd file looks much like fstab, except that sd1 is replaced
>>by sd0 and ufs is replaced by ffs. Can anyone offer insight?
>>
>You will have to add /usr to your fstab
>
>I can't tell if it is the g partition, but if it is,
>
>/dev/sd0g	/usr	ffs	rw	1 2
>
>will do it.
>
>If /usr is somewhere else, change the "g" to whatever is appropriate.
>
>Brad
>
>Stephen B. Salai                                (716) 325-5553
>Cumpston & Shaw                                 bsalai@servtech.com
>Two State Street
>Rochester, NY 14614

Brad,
Here's the other part of the problem. My internal hard disk is at scsi id
6, and my external Syquest drive is at scsi id 2. MacBSD refers to the
Syquest at /dev/sd0a and the internal disk as sd1a through whatever. the
/etc/fstab.sd file refers to the usr slice as being on sd0g, which would
put it on the Syquest. The Syquest does not have any NetBSD partitions on
it, only one Mac partition. I tried referring to the /usr partition as
/dev/sd1g and booting failed because the system couldn't find
/usr/libexec/tty0e. I tried booting into single user mode to correct the
problem, but the filesystem was read only. Do I have to start over from
scratch with MacBSD, or can I salvage this installation.

Sorry for the trouble, and thanks for your help so far.

Jim