Subject: Re: Q840 motherboards
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: None <nigel@ind.tansu.com.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/09/1997 16:23:49
> > > Does anyone know of a used 660AV I could buy? :-)
> >

> > >From 	http://www.shrevesystems.com/hotspecial.html
> >
> > Quadra 840av logic board $299.00 reconditioned
> > Quadra 660av logic board $249.00 reconditioned
>
> The motherboards sound tempting, but does anyone have any idea what to do
> about a case? Like if I got a PC case, does anyone have any idea how to
> get the I/O connectors to line up, etc?

	The way I would do it is to get a 19" rack-mount case (say 2 or 3
units high) and bolt the motherboard to the bottom of that. Drill some holes,
add a PC PSU and some disks and presto.

	The way to do it with a PC case would be to make one big slot where
all of the PC's existing connector holes are, and poke your Mac cables
through that.

	I think an 840av motherboard is too big for most PC cases (except
the really tall tower ones). A 660av should be fine in any of them, though.

> We might be talking a fair bit of time in the machine shop playing w/
> sheet metal. :-)

	Yes, but you have the satisfaction af saying "I made that computer
myself. I even wrote some of the operating system!" ;-)

--
| Nigel Pearson, nigel@ind.tansu.com.au |"People say I'm strange, does it  |
|  Telstra IN Platforms, Sydney, Aust.  | make me a stranger?              |