Subject: Re: Help with X
To: #hea <hea@ix.netcom.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/08/1997 22:48:15
#hea wrote:

> Thanks for the path to the FAQ.  However, I guess what I need is a HowTo.
>  With Linux, the X stuff was already installed...  all I needed to do was
> enter startx.  However, NetBSD seems to want some config files,
> permissions, and paths.  Is there a HowTo for installing X ?
>
> I worked my way through:
>    can't find xinit
>    xinit: libXmu.so.6.0 not found
>    /dev/grf2: not found
>
> Where I'm at now is a very nice blank "herringbone" pattern on the
> screen.  No windows or text, but typing exit brings me back to the
> console shell.
>
> Any clues would be appreciated.

Hmmmm...you need an .xinitrc now.  I think that there might be an example
of one in the faq, but simple one to get you going might be:

#!/bin/sh
xterm &
twm

so that when you quit the window manager, it exits X.  If you do it the
other way around:

twm &
xterm

(which is how most people do it, I think), X exits when you exit the
xterm.

if you read the man pages for xinit(1) and X(1), they might also have some
more useful (and full featured ;-) examples.

Later.