Subject: Re: multi User problem
To: None <jaohlma@bgnet.bgsu.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/08/1997 20:46:45
Jeffrey Ohlmann wrote:

> On Sat, 8 Nov 1997, person1994 wrote:
>
> > when ever I try to boot in multi user I get something like that:
> >
> > Automatic boot in progress: starting file system checks.
> > Usage: fsck [-dfnpy] [-b block] [-c level] [-m mode] filesystem ...
> > Unknown error; help!
> > Enter pathname of shell or RETURN for sh:
>

> I had this problem for a while.  It's in /etc/rc.  Find the line where
> fsck is run and supply it with a filesystem to check, i.e.,
>
> 	fsck -p /
>
> I don't know if this necessarily the _correct_ thing, if you know what I
> mean, but it did solve the problem.

This is definitely _not_ the correct solution.  This only works correctly
if you have 1 partition.  If you have more than one, it means that the
other partitions won't be checked at boot time.  This leads to creeping
filesystem damage, a very bad thing imho.

> Note that this was something I encountered with an older set of binaries,
> -25 or something like that; on the -45 binaries I didn't run into this.
> This was also on a P550, root&usr on a zip disk.

i think that a completely clean install of 1.3_ALPHA will fix this.  there
is probably some binary or file which just hasn't gotten updated correctly
;-(

Good luck!

Later.