Subject: Re: Q840 ethernet performance?
To: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.macbsd.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/08/1997 23:38:41
> While I haven't seen the code, I get the impression that the dynamic
> interrupt level support just means that it's possible the change what
> level splnet(), splimp(), splbio(), etc... are at.

Yup.

> I hear some of the Quadras... 700? let you program the hardware
> interrupt level of some devices.

Not really.  There is a bit in VIA1 somewhere that you can twiddle to
get it to change the interrupt scheme between two fixed methods.  We
aren't sure which bit, and we're not sure that we want to find out for
sure...

The code that's currently on the release branch will skip the 'rei'
(soft interrupts) if the lev4_intrvec returneds non-zero.  It looks
like zshard will always return non-zero if it's actually handling an
interrupt.  On the 660av and 840av, lev4_intrvec will return 0 and it
will go through the 'rei.'

-allen

--
              Allen Briggs - end killing - briggs@macbsd.com