Subject: Re: cpu: delay factor
To: Armen Babikyan <armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu>
From: Michael R Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/08/1997 11:37:51
> FYI, I got GENERICSBC#26 working on my IIvx, which (obviously by it's name)
> was an sbc kernel.  It gave compatibility with my zip drive and my old 80MB
> quantum drive, which i used for /usr/src/sys.  now that i can't use that
> drive (sbc -current-as-of-11/1/97 won't boot on my machine, and the disk
> corruption is annoying), i'm using 2 identical 270MB Quantum LPS prodrives
> on my system, which work with both sbcscsi and ncrscsi.
>
> did you mean you just couldn't get the most recent sbc kernels to boot on
> your machine or just in general?
> If the latter, try genericsbc#26. (if you can't find a copy, i'll put it up).

I could never get the SBC's to get past that PDMA message. I use Quantam drives
almost exclusively so I tried a couple of old 80 meg drives, a 120, and it
doesn't want to boot on my 1 Gig Fireball either.

I still think we don't quite understand something about either the memory
mapping or the SCSI on the IIvx and somebody just reported the same
problem on an LCII (whose V8 chip is a predecessor to the VASP in the IIvx).

I really would like to get to the bottom of the kernel size SCSI bug one
of these days. It's quite annoying. :)