Subject: Re: -current system problems
To: Armen Babikyan <armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/07/1997 17:18:15
On Fri, 7 Nov 1997, Armen Babikyan wrote:
> I fixed Bill Studenmund's diagnosis of the ufs/ffs problem in /etc/fstab
> (initial for /dev/sd0a was ufs, i changed it to ffs). while looking in
> /etc/fstab, i also saw that the fifth field for the swap was 0, and i
> switched it to 1. i did this because before the machine complained about
> /dev/sd0b being busy on startup.

Hm, strange that changing that field from 0 to 1 would fix the problem...
that field is for the dump program... it tells it whether that partition
needs to be backed up, and a swap partition doesn't need to be. (And
probably can't be backed up with the dump program). So... 0 should be
fine. Or just leave it blank. I've use:
/dev/sd1b       none    swap    sw

> Why does fsck want arguments? my initial netbsd system's fsck did it's job
> on the root fs when given no arguments. should i go ahead and edit the rc
> file or am i doing something wrong?

Hmm, my fsck works even when given no arguments... however, /etc/rc should
be doing a "fsck -p". The latest version of /etc/rc is:
#       $NetBSD: rc,v 1.95 1997/10/10 09:37:54 drochner Exp $
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 22 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++