Subject: Re: MacBSD on a Quadra 650
To: kevin havener <havenerk@thunder.safb.af.mil>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/07/1997 14:04:58
On 11/7/97 at 3:54 PM +0000, you wrote:

> 2.  As far as I can tell the machine came from the factory broken.  I've
> owned it for over 5 years now, and I'm plagued by a problem of having a
> frozen cursor on bootup.

Have you zapped your PRAM? Start your computer and hold down the command,
option, 'P' and 'R' keys. Hold them down until your machine reboots... Let
it reboot a few times, without letting up on the keys.

Also, get the most recent Apple HD SC Setup and Disk First Aid you can
find, and after running Disk First Aid to find any existing problems, use
AHDSCS to install new drivers on your internal disk. (You might also
replace the drivers on your external disk with a fresh copy, from wherever
you can obtain a recent driver.)

> What hardware should I suspect?

I'd tend to suspect corrupted PRAM.

>b.  Assuming I can't stop the problem with a little looking,
> what ramifications does this have to the MacBSD bootup?

NetBSD/mac68k is launched from a booter application that lives on the MacOS
side of your world. You must successfully boot MacOS first to boot NetBSD.
Hopefully this will change someday.

Good luck!

--
Mason Loring Bliss...mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us...www.webtrek.com/mason
"In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams build their nest with fragments