Subject: Re: Configuring X-Win!?
To: None <f94bw@efd.lth.se>
From: Michael R Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/07/1997 12:02:33
> I have a quite simple question. Installed MacBSD 1.3_alpha on my Quadra
> 800. Now I want to have some graphics so I am about to install
> (configure :( ) X-Windows. What is the easiest way to do it? Is there a
> configurationscript like 'Xconfigurator', 'XF86Config', in Linux or do I
> have to edit the files myself? What editor is preferable to use, vi or
> ed?

Well, ther's not too much to setup because so much of the support for X
is in the kernel itself unlike in the PC world where the X server simply
has access to the raw hardware. You just start X and everything just
sort of works.

There isn't much support for color right now unless you're using a
video card. I'm working on the internal video color support.

A friend of mine recently installed XFree86 on his PC and I
saw him use the installer. That's a nice little program, especially
the part that sets up the video. It gave me some ideas :-)