Subject: Re: SE/30 SCSI-weirdness
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Svante Sormark - GDC <gucsv@gd.chalmers.se>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/07/1997 15:50:52
On Thu, 6 Nov 1997, Colin Wood wrote:

>Svante Sormark - GDC wrote:
>>
>> This is strange. I have an se/30 running 1.3_Alpha (and running it well
>> too) sitting on my desk next to a 6100. NetBSD is running off an external
>> disk. When i turn the 6100 on the se/30 starts spewing out messages about
>> "ncrscsi: spurious interupt" (and a lot of other things i don't
>> remenber) and eventually drops me into the debugger.
>>
>> Anyone care to comment on this before i go and buy a new scsi-cable?
>
>Well, are there any connections between the 2 machines other than that
>they are on the same desk?  I mean, are they etherneted together?  Do you
>have their SCSI chains connected or something silly like that?  Are there
>power supplies daisy-chained together?

The power supplies are daisy-chained together and they re both plugged
into the same hub, but other than that there is nothing.

>My guess would be that it was just a coincidence unless you can reproduce
>this behavior (i.e. turn off you 6100, boot the SE/30 into NetBSD, turn on
>the 6100 and see if it happens again).  If it is reproducible, then there
>might be a problem other than bad termination or a bad SCSI cable....

It was very reproductible...

However, it is solved now. Rather than get a new cable I put the disk
inside the se/30, and everything is fine now.

>Later.
>
>--
>Colin Wood                                 cwood@ichips.intel.com
>Component Design Engineer - MD6                 Intel Corporation
>I speak only on my own behalf, not for my employer.

MVH /
Svante Sörmark
| Göteborgs DataCentral   | Gibraltargatan 25     | 412 96 Göteborg      |
| Email:  gucsv@gdc.gu.se | Tel: +46-31-772 83 36 | Fax: +46-31-772 83 90|
| Sending unsolicited commercial massmail to this account may            |
| result in network outage for your site. Have a nice day.               |