Subject: Re: Boot hang
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.macbsd.com>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/07/1997 06:56:37
Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.macbsd.com> wrote:

>> > It's probably:  "panic:  ResHandles table too small", or something pretty
>> > close to that.  Are you using an Apple Standard mouse and keyboard?  I
>> Oddly enough, I got this error when trying to run a program I had written to
>> reinit the adb system.
>> I don't have the
>> source around anymore, but it just opened up /dev/adb and did the
>ADBIOC_RESET
>> ioctl on it. Any ideas?
>
>I have an idea...  It might be that the reset causes the MRG (assuming
>you're using MRG_ADB) to try to add entries to the resource handle
>table.  I don't think that table is cleared out by anything, so it
>might very well be running out of space.

I have a feeling there is a bug in the ROM code for certain machines
which is patched by the MacOS via an INIT.  Since we don't load these
INITs in NetBSD we run into the bug when using the ROM code.  The table
size isn't really the problem.  We're tried making the table larger than
the total number of resources in the ROM itself and we still see the
error on certain machines with certain ADB devices connected.  This makes
me think the ROM code gets hung in a loop loading resources that it can't
break out of without the special MacOS patches.  This all goes away with
John's HWDIRECT code though and is one more good reason we need to move
in that direction.

-bob