Subject: Re: more help
To: karen <swansons@earthlink.net>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/07/1997 00:20:41
On Thu, 6 Nov 1997, karen wrote:
> Changing root device to sd1a.
> PRAM: 0x346201c8, macos_boottime:0x346201bf
> Automatic boot in progress: Starting file system checks.
> Can't Open /dev/rsd2a: Device not configured.
> /dev/rsd2a: Can't check file system.
> /dev/rsd2a: Unexpected inconsistency; run fsck_ffs manually
> Automatic file system check failed;help!
> Enter pathname of shell or RETURN for sh:   <return>
> Terminal type?      <vt100>
>
> then it drops me into the shell.  i tried:
>
> # mount -uw /    and it replied:
> ufs:/dev/sd2a on /: specified device does not match mounted device
>
> # mount -u /dev/sd1a /   and it replied:
> /dev/sd1a: file system not clean; please fsck(8)
>
> # fsck  and it replied:
> Can't Open /dev/rsd2a: Device not configured

Ahh... your /etc/fstab has the wrong device for the root partition, for
some reason... boot single user, hit return at the "Enter pathname of
shell", put in "vt100" for terminal type, then at the shell prompt, do
"fsck /dev/rsd1a"

After it finishes, you should be able to "mount -u /dev/sd1a /"  As for
how to fix your /etc/fstab... there are a couple of ways, but I don't know
what would be easiest. Maybe do a "cat /etc/fstab" to see what you
currently have, then do "cat > /etc/fstab" and type the whole thing in
again, but change any "/dev/sd2"s that you see into "/dev/sd1"s. (And
while you're there, change any the "ufs" to "ffs". For example, the first
line would probably look something like:

/dev/sd1a / ffs rw 1 1

Hope this helps!
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 22 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++