Subject: Re: SE/30 SCSI-weirdness
To: Svante Sormark - GDC <gucsv@gd.chalmers.se>
From: Rodney M. Hopkins <rhopkins@sunflower.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/06/1997 23:07:58
At 07:16 PM 11/6/97 +0100, you wrote:

>Hi ppl!
>
>This is strange. I have an se/30 running 1.3_Alpha (and running it well
>too) sitting on my desk next to a 6100. NetBSD is running off an external
>disk. When i turn the 6100 on the se/30 starts spewing out messages about
>"ncrscsi: spurious interupt" (and a lot of other things i don't
>remenber) and eventually drops me into the debugger.=20
>
>Anyone care to comment on this before i go and buy a new scsi-cable?
>
>MVH /
>Svante S=F6rmark

You mention the SE/30 is running NetBSD on an external drive.  Are the 6100
and the SE/30 both hooked to the external drive?  If so, it's my
understanding you'd have two SCSI controllers on the same bus, possibly at
the same SCSI ID, competing for control of devices on the SCSI bus.  This
would be bad.  You can have an external drive simultaneously connected to
two different machines, each containing its own SCSI controller, but you
can't have both machines powered on at the same time.

If the 6100 and the SE/30 are not both connected to the external drive,
then I'd start looking at magnetic shielding and RF interference as
possible causes.  Perhaps a "higher quality" better shielded SCSI cable
might do the trick.  It also might take rearranging your desk to seperate
the SE/30 and the 6100.

Finally, a long shot.  It might just be possible that the 6100 and the
SE/30 are on the same electrical circuit and powering on the 6100 either
takes enough voltage from the circuit that the SE/30 begins to be affected
or perhaps the 6100 has some sort of a "glitchy" power supply that is
putting spikes on the circuit that affect the SE/30.  I'd check into seeing
if I could get the SE/30 powered through one circuit and the 6100 powered
through the other.

Good luck,

Rodney M. Hopkins
rhopkins@sunflower.com