Subject: Re: ADB oddities
To: Xiamin Raahauge <xiamin@scdesantis.ne.mediaone.net>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/06/1997 23:20:56
Xiamin Raahauge wrote:

> Thanks to the advice of Colin Wood and Alan Briggs, I switched to a HWDIRECT
> kernel. Now I can reinit adb at will! Muahahaahahahah!
> Here's the dark side to this new found power. This is the message I got while
> booting:
> mrg: 'Quadra/Centris ROMs' ROM glue, tracing off, debug off, silent traps
> mrg: I/O map kludge for ROMs that use hardware addresses directly.
> adb: using II series hardware support
> adb: cleanup: nothing returned
> adb: ADBReInit complete
> adb: adjustable keyboard at 2
> adb: extended mouse <LT\^C> 0-button 3539 dpi unknown device at 3
> adb: misc. device (remote control?) (2) at 7

I see the same thing (well, something similarly strange) on my Q700 using
a Logitech Mouseman.

> That mouse dpi seems to be a tad bit off. Also, I have just noticed that the
> third mouse button, which worked with MRG_ADB, no longer works. The mouse in
> question is a Logitech TrackMan Marble.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I got.

> Here is what I got running my adb reinit program (from dmesg):
> adb: using II series hardware support
> adb: cleanup: nothing returned
> adb: ADBReInit complete
> adb: adjustable keyboard at 2
> adb: extended mouse <LT> 0-button 566 dpi unknown device at 3
> adb: misc. device (remote control?) (2) at 7
>
> The dpi is different!!!

Yes, I think that there is a timing bug in the HWDIRECT driver (or
something similar).  It basically appears that the ADB operation is not
completing all the way, or else the data transferred isn't quite right.  I
have a feeling that John's timing is just a wee bit off :-(

> Don't ask me what the misc. device is, I have no idea. It might be confused by
> the fact that I have two adb ports, but other than that I have no idea. Anyone
> else with a Q650, or any model, gotten that message?

That's a new one for me.  It was only added to the code recently, but it
means that something is showing up at address 7 for some reason.  Perhaps
your logitech trackball is emulating a keyboard and the HWDIRECT code is
munging this?

> It seems as if HWDIRECT isn't the way to go, since I value being able to use all
> my mouse buttons more than being able to reinit the adb system. These sources
> are maybe two weeks old, by the way.

Well...Allen did have a few ideas for a fix, so maybe we can see what he
comes up with.

> Even though the dpi reads out to an old number, the mouse seems to move at the
> same speed it always did. Oh well, time to boot with my older kernel.

I definitely think the erroneous dpi is a result of timing problems with
the HWDIRECT code.  Maybe John's latest code will perform better.  You
might try downloading his latest HWDIRECT patches off of Puma and seeing
if they help things...

Later.