Subject: Re: Performa 550 problem
To: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/06/1997 09:12:38
Bob Nestor wrote:

> Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com> wrote:
>
> >Yes, NetBSD-1.2.1 didn't support your machine.  According to my data, the
> >NetBSD-1.3_ALPHA snapshot _should_ work just fine, tho.  Try downloading
> >and installing the 1.3_ALPHA kernel and see if it will boot for you.
> >Please let us know how it goes.
>
> No, this is wrong.  NetBSD 1.2 and 1.2.1 will run on the Performa 550, as
> does 1.3ALPHA.  And I know I send that information to you when you were
> updating the pages back then Colin. ;-)
>
> The P550 started working with a modified version 1.0 in serial only mode
> thanks to John Witkoswki, and was fully working with local console and
> ADB thanks to Walter Ruetten. There was a minor problem in 1.2 that
> caused X and DT to break, but we got that fixed before the official 1.2
> Release.

Doh!  Sorry about that Bob.  That's what I get for opening my mouth before
checking the facts :-(  According to what I have written down, 1.2.1
should run on it.  Oh well.  Sorry for the confusion on this one.  I can
only assume I was thinking about one of the many Peformas that didnt'
work.

That said, please try the NetBSD-1.3_ALPHA kernel anyway.  We need as
many people to try it as possible before the 1.3 release so that we can
track down any lingering bugs.

Later.