Subject: (OFF TOPIC) Re: Q840 ethernet performance?
To: David A. Gatwood <marsmail@globegate.utm.edu>
From: Steve Quint <squint@flash.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/06/1997 10:48:01
At 3:27 PM -0800 11/5/97, Dave Huang wrote:

>Fetch claims 580K/s getting a 6.2MB file from my Pentium (from a mfs RAM
>disk) to a RAM disk on the MacOS side, although the peak was about 1MB/s.
>Got 711K/s sending the file, with a 1.1MB/s peak. I don't know how
>reliable fetch's numbers are though :)

Just a side note... make sure you crank up the transfer buffer size in
Fetch's preference, it's default is set to 8K for modem use.  Also turn off
all auto encoding and decoding features, this really slows down Fetch.
Generally, I've found Anarchie to be slightly faster in testing situations,
but Anarchie adds in the opening and closing connection times when
calculating throughput.

Steve

"Always ... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is
better. And twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad. And too
much is never enough except when it's just about right."
			-- The Tick