Subject: Re: New Booter available
To: Armen Babikyan <armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/06/1997 09:46:22
Armen Babikyan wrote:

> At 2:11 PM +1100 11/3/97, nigel@ind.tansu.com.au wrote:

[test out the new Booter, it's wonderful ;-)]

> I just grabbed the 11/1/97 snapshot and installed it, along with
> GENERICSBC#47 and attempted to boot it on my IIvx. I used booter 1.11.1b5,
> too.
>
> I got pretty far through the boot, but the machine hung at:
>   sbc0 at obio0: options=1<PDMA>
> everything before that looked pretty much normal, but i noticed a new line
> right after identifying my computer (IIvx (68030)):
>   cpu: delay factor 99
>
> any idea what either of these mean and how to fix the former?

I'm not sure where the delay factor comes in, that's a relatively recent
addition to the kernel.  As for the former, do you have to use an SBC
kernel?  If the ncrscsi kernels will work, I'd try that as a temporary
work around.  But, since we probably want to debug this problem, can you
drop into the debugger at this point (where it hangs) by hitting the
programmer's switch and then send us the output of the the 'trace'
command?  If that works, someone will have a place to start looking.

> (yeah, i know, i was bad and installed snapshot before upgrading the
> kernel, but i didn't have anything to lose =)

Well, you shouldn't have too many problems as a result.  It's only when
you're upgrading binaries with a significantly older kernel that you'll
have trouble.  (But it's generally a good idea to get a newer kernel
first, anyway :-)

Later.