Subject: Re: help
To: Armen Babikyan <armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/06/1997 06:21:09
On Thu, 6 Nov 1997, Armen Babikyan wrote:

> At 6:14 PM -0800 11/4/97, karen wrote:
> >hi,
> >	im tryin to get netbsd to run on my mac 2ci.  I partioned my drive
> >correctly, installed the file system, installed the kernal and the extra
> >files, and booted.  problem is, i cant get anything done cause it says
> >the file system is read only.  i tryed "mount -aw" but it says  "the
> >device does not match the mounted device"  any help would be greatly
> >appreciated.  BTW, i am booting off an external SCSI HD.  could this
> >have anything to do with the problem?  thanx
> >

> try "mount -uw /" to mount "/" read/write in single user.
> booting off an *external* scsi hd shouldn't ever matter, provided the drive
> is properly terminated. (and if you have only 1 SCSI bus, which you do).
> later,

Nope, that won;t work.  The error message you're getting says that the
kernel was compiled with a hard-coded root specification, like

	config netbsd root on sd0a ...

When you go to mount the root f/s, if your /etc/fstab says that the root
file system isn't in the same place, you get that message.

What kernel are you running?  All of the GENERIC kernels should be built
with
	config netbsd root on ? ...

which allows it to figure out on the fly where the kernel was booted from,
and sets things up from there.

| Paul Goyette       | PGP Public Key fingerprint:  | E-mail addresses:     |
| Network Consultant |     0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@whooppee.com    |
| and kernel hacker  |     E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul_goyette@ins.com |