Subject: Re: Boot hang
To: None <bshayn1@gl.umbc.edu>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@remus.rutgers.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/05/1997 11:04:46
On Tue, 4 Nov 1997 17:49:34 -0500 (EST),
Avatar <bshayn1@gl.umbc.edu> wrote:
> 	During boot, my screen goes monochrome (good) and the process
> starts only to hang with the error "unexpected trap; vector offset 0xb
> from 0xa02010".
>
> 	My guess is that I can't run BSD on my Performa 636CD because of
> the 68LC040 processor, in which case I may break down and cry, but I'm
> hoping it's something other than that.

It must be something other than that, since kernel doesn't use any
floating point instruction at all in absence of FPU.  Besides that,
people have succeeded to boot NetBSD on LC or Performa 63x's (even
with a buggy LC040 chip!), so there's no reason why it shouldn't be
the case with your P636CD.

Here's a list of some possible hints:

* booting the Mac with NO MacOS extention
* zapping PRAM
* making sure that virtual memory (and RAMdoubler if installed) is
  turned off (though I doubt this applies to your problem)
* making sure the screen is in B&W mode before booting NetBSD (though
  I'm not sure if it helps, but it's worth the try anyway)

I'm sure there are more, but I can't think of any at the moment.

Good luck,

Ken