Subject: Re: Video bootlog question
To: None <cruller@unicom.net>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/05/1997 21:18:59
cruller@unicom.net wrote:

> The video portion of the screen output says:
>
> intvid0 at obio0: DAFB: Monitor sense 1.
> intvid0: 832x624, 65536 color
> grf0 at intvid0
> ite at grf0 not configured
>
> I culled through the list archives using the search utility at
>
> http://routbort.neuro.duke.edu/netbsd/  (this thing is choice)

Pretty nice, eh?  Might want to write the maintainer and thank him :-)

> and found on V1 #163 Allen said:
>
> > I don't think that the "ite not configured" is a problem with X or dt.
> > I get the same message on my system, but dt works fine.  I think I see
> > where the message is coming from--I'm mailing Scott about it.
> >
> > - -allen
> >
> I'm trying to edge-a-ma-cate myself and was wondering: What is ite and
> do I care if its configued or not?

The ite is the internal console driver.  It handles taking input from the
keyboard and displaying it on the screen, as well as scrolling text that's
on the screen and other such good stuff like that.  Fortunately, it pretty
much works whether it manages to match or not (I can't remember what's
failing, it's either ite_match() or ite_attach(), but that doesn't matter
for this).  The message above is most likely an indicator that we're not
correctly mapping the right part of memory (or so I seem to recall ;-)

> I got the above message using booter 1.11.0 and booting the
> generic-47(1.3_alpha) from the MacOS side. A Q650 got to the point where
> it was looking for the root device (where none exist) so I deam the test
> a success.

One problem you might encounter is that your monitor appears to be in
16-bit mode.  Things might work a bit better if you boot in 1-bit mode.
Other than that, if you managed to boot to the point where it asked for a
root device, then you should be good to go.  Just install the binaries and
start having fun running NetBSD!

Good luck.