Subject: Re: Problems with 1.3-ALPHA
To: Stefan Schmiedl <swsch@pobox.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/05/1997 16:54:14
Stefan Schmiedl wrote:

[upgrade problems snipped for brevity]

> BTW: Why is the installer so much slower than tar -xzvf? For example,
> installing the /usr/share/zoneinfo files takes a *lot* more time.

I think that the Installer uses some kind of SCSI polling routines to
interface with the ufs/ffs partition...well, at any rate, it has to go
thru the MacOS drivers.  This is apparently a lot slower than using the
native BSD SCSI drivers to access the BSD-style partitions.  I rarely use
the installer anymore myself.  It's a lot faster and easier to ftp stuff
from within NetBSD and install it from there (an install of the base
archive takes maybe 5 minutes on one of my IIci's vs. the hour or so using
the Installer).

Later.