Subject: Re: Boot hang
To: None <bshayn1@gl.umbc.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/05/1997 16:38:36
Avatar wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Nov 1997, Colin Wood wrote [among other things]:
>
> >even 1.3_ALPHA doesn't support 'LC040's very well.  You should be able to
> >boot your machine and run some programs, but there is currently a bug in
> >the 'LC040 floating point emulation code which will probably cause many
> >programs to segfault or give illegal instruction errors.  I think that
> >some people may have started working on this again, tho.  You can try and
> >download a 1.3_ALPHA kernel and see if it will at least boot your machine
> >before giving up, tho.
>
> 	I downloaded both the GENERICSBC-46 and -47 kernels and gave them
> a try. They froze during boot as well, but with the error (this may not be
> exact wording, I'm not sitting in front of my computer) "panic: rsrchandlr
> to small!!" it may have mentioned something about the rsrchandlr not
> having enough memory and then it dropped me out into what looked like the
> debugger (with the db> prompt), but it wouldn't accept keyboard input
> (checked all the hardware connections on the keyboard, they're working).
> When I get home tonight I'll try to download the 1.3_ALPHA kernel and let
> you know what happens.

It's probably:  "panic:  ResHandles table too small", or something pretty
close to that.  Are you using an Apple Standard mouse and keyboard?  I
usually see this particular error message from people who are using
Kensington multi-button mice.  I don't know what it is about these mice,
but the MRG ADB doesn't seem to like them.  You might try 1 or 2 different
kernels:  a kernel using HWDIRECT support (i.e. doesn't use MRG_ADB).
Someone on the list might make one for you or have one available since the
standard GENERIC kernels don't have this compiled in.  The other kernel is
the latest one that Allen Briggs has compiled (he posted about it earlier
today or yesterday...try ftp://ftp.macbsd.com/pub/outgoing/briggs/).

I hope this helps some.

Later.