Subject: Re: Boot hang
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Avatar <bshayn1@gl.umbc.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/05/1997 19:02:19
On Wed, 5 Nov 1997, Colin Wood wrote [among other things]:

>even 1.3_ALPHA doesn't support 'LC040's very well.  You should be able to
>boot your machine and run some programs, but there is currently a bug in
>the 'LC040 floating point emulation code which will probably cause many
>programs to segfault or give illegal instruction errors.  I think that
>some people may have started working on this again, tho.  You can try and
>download a 1.3_ALPHA kernel and see if it will at least boot your machine
>before giving up, tho.

	I downloaded both the GENERICSBC-46 and -47 kernels and gave them
a try. They froze during boot as well, but with the error (this may not be
exact wording, I'm not sitting in front of my computer) "panic: rsrchandlr
to small!!" it may have mentioned something about the rsrchandlr not
having enough memory and then it dropped me out into what looked like the
debugger (with the db> prompt), but it wouldn't accept keyboard input
(checked all the hardware connections on the keyboard, they're working).
When I get home tonight I'll try to download the 1.3_ALPHA kernel and let
you know what happens.

kenn@remus.rutgers.edu wrote [among other things]:

>Here's a list of some possible hints:
>
>* booting the Mac with NO MacOS extention
>* zapping PRAM
>* making sure that virtual memory (and RAMdoubler if installed) is turned
>  off (though I doubt this applies to your problem)
>* making sure the screen is in B&W mode before booting NetBSD (though
>  I'm not sure if it helps, but it's worth the try anyway)

I'll try these and let you know.