Subject: Re: mounting HFS voumes (packages in 1.3 ??!)
To: None <netbsd@dillernet.com>
From: Johnny Lam <lamj@stat.cmu.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/05/1997 17:42:24
On  4 Nov, Andrew Diller wrote:
> At 12:02 PM 11/4/97 -0500, you wrote:
>
>>	ftp://ftp.mars.org/pub/hfs/hfsutils.tar.gz
>>
>>There were some changes to the Makefile that were necessary to get it
>>to work under NetBSD.  I've made up a package for it that uses the new
>>pkg subsystem in 1.3, so I can send that to you if you'd like.
>>

> What are packages? Is it a type of install system or some sort of kernel
> modules??
>
> -andy

Packages are NetBSD's take on the FreeBSD ports collection.  It's a
system of wrapper Makefiles which can automatically download, build,
and install a software package.  See

	http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook25.html#27

for a deeper explanation of how it all works.  It's all pretty nifty,
and a lot of software has been added to the FreeBSD ports collection
already.  We should expect to see a lot of it to migrate over to the
NetBSD package collection soon.

--
   Johnny C. Lam
   Department of Statistics			lamj@stat.cmu.edu