Subject: Re: setgid dt eats LD_LIBRARY_PATH
To: None <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Johnny Lam <lamj@stat.cmu.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/05/1997 17:29:32
On  5 Nov, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>> I wanted LD_LIBRARY_PATH set since the linker ld will search it for
>> libraries.  It's the most painless way to add /usr/pkg/lib to the
>> default library search list so that GNU configure will find it for all
>> of those GNU packages in the /usr/pkgsrc tree.
>
> ldconfig -m /usr/pkg/lib in rc.local shouldn't be too painful, should it?
>
> The advantage of ldconfig'ing the change is you're saying that the
> system administrator thinks it's a good thing, not just a user.

Wait...I'm confused.  I thought that ldconfig sets up the ld.so.hints
cache, but the cache is consulted ONLY at runtime.  What I'm want is
for those libraries to be found at compile-time, and I thought the only
way to do that was to add -Llibdir -llib, or to add libdir to
LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  All those GNU configure scripts make little programs
and try to link with, oh say -lncurses, to test if ncurses exists.
>From my experiences, having libncurses in my ld.so.hints file doesn't
mean that ld will find it.

	Am I wrong on this?
--