Subject: Re: Booting going fine, but what about those questions?
To: None <f94bw@efd.lth.se>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/05/1997 12:15:32

> I recently, today got the booting to start on my Quadra 800, with help
> from some nice people on this mailing-list. Im running the MacBSD
> 1.3_Alpha with Installer 1.11. Now to my problem. Booting starts out
> well with no error-messages, but then some questions appear, probably
> normal(?). The first one 'Enter pathname for shell...' This one goes
> fine with just hitting enter. Then a new question arise, a tougher one,
> 'Terminal type?'. There Im stuck!!! I have tried to enter several stupid
> things, the more I realize it wont work. What shall I type in there?
> What other questions may appear? so I can prepare myself. I have tried
> to look for answers in old FAQ's, mailing lists, but found none. Feels
> like im getting close....

It has booted. It's starting up single-user.

In single-user mode, the system asks you what shell to run. I usually
just run sh. Then you get asked what terminal type. "vt100" is fine.

If you didn't select single-user in the booter, probably what happened
is that you need to set up rc.conf to your satisfaction.

Get in as root ("" for the default shell, "vt100" for the terminal)
and mount / r/w (mount -u /). If you have a seperate /usr (not really
needed today), mount it too.

vi /etc/rc.conf

turn things on and off ("YES" and "NO") as you wish.
Then set the rc_configured value, on line 8 or so, to YES. Otherwise
you will keep getting dropped into single-user.

logout

Things should now go well.

the reason for configuring rc.conf is that a number of the options
are security related, like for a firewall. The idea is to NOT let
a system come up insecure because someone forgot to edit the config
file.

Take care,

Bill