Subject: Re: Dial in
To: SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com>
From: Eric Damien Berna <eric@thiel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/05/1997 12:15:11
Thanks for the reply. I've done what you've suggested. A few changes needed
to be made, but it was a great start. But it still doesn't work. When I
dial in, the modem answers the phone and connects. But the server just sits
there. It doesn't ask for a login name or anything.

I'll go through your steps for FreeBSD and mention how I had to change it
for my computer. Maybe that will illuminate something I'm doing wrong.

>	1. Installed FreeBSD and the kernel sources.

Installed NetBSD 1.2. Everything except sources and X11.

>	2. Set up the /etc/ppp/options file like this:
>
>crtscts                  # hardware flow control
>netmask 255.255.255.0    # netmask
>domain your.domain       # your domain
>passive                  # wait for LCP
>modem                    # modem line
>silent                   # don't remember ;-)
>proxyarp                 # allow access to ethernet net
>login                    # check against passwd file
>dns1 <your main DNS>     # DNS 1
>dns2 <alternate DNS>     # DNS 2
>persist                  # don't kill pppd on hangup
>auth                     # authenticate

pppd didn't like the dns1 and dns2 commands. I couldn't find them in the
man page and tried dns, but that didn't work so I just commented them out.

>	3. Set up a /etc/ppp/pap-secrets file with this one line:
>
>*   *    ""

Done.

>	4. add this to /etc/rc.local
>
># tailor this to your network of course ;-)
># and, one line for each port/connection that you will allow
># if just one modem, and you only want one person on at once
># you can just have one instance... and no <> of course ;-)
># And, replace /dev/tty01 with whatever your modem's device is
># set to... and 115200 to your modem's speed.
>
>/usr/sbin/pppd <your Mac's IP number>:<IP to be allocated> /dev/tty01 115200

I put this inside an if to make sure pppd is on the system, changed the
device to tty00, and set the speed to 38400. When I tried it with 115200,
pppd would report an error.

>	5. Make sure there is a /etc/passwd entry for whatever users will
>	   be logging in.

I'll just try to get my normal user account to work.

>	6. Edit the /etc/uucp/port file like so. ( definetely not sure
>	   about this for NetBSD OR Mac... this was on a PC afterall...
>	   and edit to suit your needs... one for each modem.
>
>port       port1
>device     /dev/cuaa0
>dialer     hayes
>speed      115200
>
># etc...

I set device to tty00 and speed to 38400. At the higher speed, cu wouldn't
connect.

>	7. Run the command: 'cu -p port1' then try the following
>
>atz
>at&f1
>at&b1
>atq1
>ate0
>ats0=1
>at&w
>atz
>
>	  Then exit with tilde-period-enter (~. then enter) Do this for
>          each modem you want.

I had to change a dip switch to have ats0=1 hold.

>	8. You'll need a kernel with the ppp pseudo-devices, enough for
>	   each modem plus 1 (pseudo-device ppp 2 if you're using 1 modem)
>	   also, make sure that you have the GATEWAY option in your
>	   config. I don't know if you would need to run gated or not...

I'm assuming that since the standard distribution includes pppd, the kernal
supports ppp.

Thanks again for the help.

Eric Damien Berna
Thiel Visual Design