Subject: Re: Dial in
To: Eric Damien Berna <eric@thiel.com>
From: SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/05/1997 05:38:39
On Tue, 4 Nov 1997, Eric Damien Berna wrote:

> My goal is:
>
> 	Setup a Mac IIcx running NetBSD as a mini ISP?

	Sounds like a good idea ;-)

> 	What I don't know how to do is get the Mac IIcx to answer the
> 	phone under NetBSD. I've looked at mgetty, but the standard
> 	ditribution mentions a seporate BSD port. All I can find on
> 	that is a FreeBSD port. (By the way, is there any support for
> 	the FreeBSD port system in NetBSD?)

	Now, here is one I CAN answer, somewhat ;-) I helped a friend of
mine set up a similar setup... a friend of his owns a Mac retail store
(lucky SOB) with a 100baseT ethernet network and a T1 connection to the
Internet.. .and his friend gave him a couple of IP numbers to play with,
so he hooked up a Pentium 90 running FreeBSD and used it as a PPP server.
Here is how we ended up doing it: (incidentally, this will only work if
you're using it for a PPP server... though you could modify it to dialup a
shell... and some of this may or may not be relevant with NetBSD. I've not
gotten that far yet ;-) )

	1. Installed FreeBSD and the kernel sources.
	2. Set up the /etc/ppp/options file like this:

crtscts                  # hardware flow control
netmask 255.255.255.0    # netmask
domain your.domain       # your domain
passive                  # wait for LCP
modem                    # modem line
silent                   # don't remember ;-)
proxyarp                 # allow access to ethernet net
login                    # check against passwd file
dns1 <your main DNS>     # DNS 1
dns2 <alternate DNS>     # DNS 2
persist                  # don't kill pppd on hangup
auth                     # authenticate

	3. Set up a /etc/ppp/pap-secrets file with this one line:

*   *    ""

	4. add this to /etc/rc.local

# tailor this to your network of course ;-)
# and, one line for each port/connection that you will allow
# if just one modem, and you only want one person on at once
# you can just have one instance... and no <> of course ;-)
# And, replace /dev/tty01 with whatever your modem's device is
# set to... and 115200 to your modem's speed.

/usr/sbin/pppd <your Mac's IP number>:<IP to be allocated> /dev/tty01 115200

	5. Make sure there is a /etc/passwd entry for whatever users will
	   be logging in.

	6. Edit the /etc/uucp/port file like so. ( definetely not sure
	   about this for NetBSD OR Mac... this was on a PC afterall...
	   and edit to suit your needs... one for each modem.

port       port1
device     /dev/cuaa0
dialer     hayes
speed      115200

port       port2
device     /dev/cuaa1
dialer     hayes
speed      115200

# etc...

	7. Run the command: 'cu -p port1' then try the following

atz
at&f1
at&b1
atq1
ate0
ats0=1
at&w
atz

	  Then exit with tilde-period-enter (~. then enter) Do this for
          each modem you want.

	8. You'll need a kernel with the ppp pseudo-devices, enough for
	   each modem plus 1 (pseudo-device ppp 2 if you're using 1 modem)
	   also, make sure that you have the GATEWAY option in your
	   config. I don't know if you would need to run gated or not...

	Anyhow.. this worked for my friend. He had problems with the
serial port speeds using compression, etc... which is why it is set to
15200. I don't know if this was just the PC hardware combined with
FreeBSD, or what... I hope this helps some. I'm thinking of doing the same
if I ever get a better Internet connection... ;-)

	Ryan

	P.S. Don't hold me to the steps... we set this up months ago, and
this is just from memory and what notes I have from it in my notebook ;-)
Some of the pppd options may be different, andI'm not sure about the cu
modem strings... but hopefully this will help anyhow ;-)

-----
My name is rewt... you have SIGKILLed my father... prepare to vi!