Subject: Re: Boot hang
To: Avatar <bshayn1@gl.umbc.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/05/1997 01:32:22
Avatar wrote:

> 	I finally got my install to work (I installed the netbsd121,
> base121, etc121 and man 121 binaries looking for just a basic, functional
> system), built my devices (etc/fstab was created) and booted (changing
> only the SCSI ID and monitors setting [to B&W] in the preferences).
>
> 	During boot, my screen goes monochrome (good) and the process
> starts only to hang with the error "unexpected trap; vector offset 0xb
> from 0xa02010".
>
> 	My guess is that I can't run BSD on my Performa 636CD because of
> the 68LC040 processor, in which case I may break down and cry, but I'm
> hoping it's something other than that.

There's some good news and some bad news.  The good news is that NetBSD
1.2.1 had absolutely no support for '040-based Mac's, so this is why
you're having trouble booting.  The bad news (well, other than the fact
that you may have wasted a good deal of time downloading 1.2.1) is that
even 1.3_ALPHA doesn't support 'LC040's very well.  You should be able to
boot your machine and run some programs, but there is currently a bug in
the 'LC040 floating point emulation code which will probably cause many
programs to segfault or give illegal instruction errors.  I think that
some people may have started working on this again, tho.  You can try and
download a 1.3_ALPHA kernel and see if it will at least boot your machine
before giving up, tho.

I hope this helps some, and if you have any more questions, feel free to
ask us.

Later.