Subject: Re: Problems with 1.3-ALPHA
To: Scott Reynolds <scottr@plexus.com>
From: Mark Andres <mark@ratbert.aisol.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/05/1997 09:36:22
Hi,

On Tue, 4 Nov 1997, Scott Reynolds wrote:

> you're pretty well sunk, as far as shutting down gracefully.

So I have learned.

> what you'll need to do is to make sure you've waited at least 10 minutes
> (hopefully update(8) is still running... it should be) to sync the disks.
> if you're lucky enough to have DDB in the kernel, hit the programmers'
> switch (the one on the ... right, in the lower left corner of the front
> panel) and type `call cpu_reboot' and press ENTER.  if not, just hit the
> left hand switch to reset the system.

I had to do a hard reset.  I booted single-user, ran fsck, etc. Everything
seems to be OK now.  I just finished installing the entire snapshot.

> from the mac os, download and unpack the kernel to the same folder as the
> booter, then set the booter to boot from mac os.  make sure you specify
> the name of the kernel, too. :-)  this should get you working well enough
> to recover.

And use MacOS. Eeww! I do everything in NetBSD so I downloaded the
snapshot in NetBSD and kernels in NetBSD, not MacOS. I don't even have
MacTCP installed on the MacOS partition.

---------

For those people who have forsaken MacOS completely in favor of NetBSD
(like me), here is the steps needed to upgrade to 1.3-ALPHA.

1) Backup all important data !!!

2) Download the snapshot files you want from

     ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.3_ALPHA/mac68k/snapshot/

   I usually add the .tar.gz on the end when using ftp like this:

     ftp> get base base.tar.gz

3) Download a kernel from

     ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.3_ALPHA/mac68k/kernels

4) Install the 1.3-ALPHA kernel.  As root, do the following:

     cd /
     mv netbsd netbsd.old
     tar -zxvpf GENERIC-47.tar.gz

5) Reboot into single user.  Run fsck and then mount all partitions
   read/write.  Usually 'mount -a' should do the trick.

6) Install the snapshot binaries.  Use the --unlink switch in tar. For
   example:

     tar --unlink -zxvpf base.tar.gz

7) Exit from single-user mode and it should continue to boot into
   multi-user mode.

Note #1:  All tar commands above assume that the tarfiles are in /.  If
they are not, you need to specify the path such as

     tar --unlink -zxvpf /path/to/file/base.tar.gz

Note #2:  You will probably want to untar the etc.tar.gz file into /tmp
first. Then manually copy over the files that you want to install leaving
the leaving things like /etc/passwd intact.

Mark Andres                  E-mail: mark@ratbert.aisol.net
          Running NetBSD, 100% Microsoft Free!
Me: /www2.giganet.net/~mark/ NetBSD: /bullwinkle.aisol.net/