Subject: Re: Problems with 1.3-ALPHA
To: Mark Andres <mark@ratbert.aisol.net>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/04/1997 18:23:05
On Tue, 4 Nov 1997, Mark Andres wrote:
> I am using a Macintosh IIcx with 20MB of RAM, a 730MB Quantum HD, and was
> previosuly running 1.2.1.  I downloaded the 1.3-ALPHA snapshot for the
> mac68k port. I am now in the process of installing it.  I am following the
> same procedure I used to upgrade from 1.2 to 1.2.1.  Namely,
>
> I booted single user and mounted my partitions read/write.
>
> I went to the root directory ( cd / ) and then did
>
>    tar --unlink -zxvpf base.tar.gz

Did you install and boot with a 1.3_ALPHA kernel before you did this?
Always boot with a new kernel first, then install new binaries. (There may
be an exception to that, but I don't remember what it is :)

I think you'll have to ctrl-oa-reset, boot with a new kernel (leave it on
the MacOS side), fsck your drives, then copy the new kernel over somehow,
either with hfsutils or the installer.

Dahan: Hani G Y+C 22 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++