Subject: Re: Getting my Quadra 800 going?!
To: None <f94bw@efd.lth.se>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/04/1997 16:15:17
BGW wrote:

> I recently decided to get my Quadra 800 running with NetBSD. I
> downloaded "MacBSD 1.3_Alpha" with the Generic-47 kernel. I partitioned
> my harddrive, 240 MB as an 'A/UX root/usr' and a 20 MB 'A/UX Swap'. Then
> I used "Mkfs_1.45" on my partitions. I went on with the installer
> 'Installer 1.1_f' and installed the 'base', 'etc' among some other
> packages, choosed 'build devices' and then 'mini shell' and
> 'cpin netsbsd /netbsd' after having uncompressed the kernel within MacOS
> (untar:ed it etc.). No problems so far (I guess!). Now it was time to
> boot, using 'Booter 1.11'. The log-file looks good until Im about to
> leave the log, saying "Bye-Bye..." , it changes screen to 1 bit color
> and freezes the computer, leaving me with nothing to do but restart. Any
> ideas, tip? Anyone got a working Quadra 800 together with MacBSD+X-win?
> If, yes, what kernel etc?

All seems correct to me...

This kernel _should_ work just fine on your machine.  I'm not too sure
what format the kernel is in, but I think it's a .tar.gz file, like all of
the others.  I'd try installing the archive with the installer just like
you did with all of the other packages.  It's quite likely that one of the
Mac utilities you used to unarchive it managed to corrupt it (often they
will uncompress in text mode instead of binary, which is what you need).

> This is my configuration
>
> Quadra 800 (040/33)
> 500 (520) MB Quantum Maverick 540s (240 MB Root/usr 20 MB Swap)
> 24 MB Ram
> Apple desktop bus mouse 2
> Apple 16' RGB
> Apple design keyboard
> 1 PowerMac extension card from Apple (turned off!!!)

The above should all work, but if my suggestion doesn't seem to help, you
might consider pulling the PowerMac card as it just might be interfering
with the boot process.  BTW, if you get it to boot, please let me see the
output of the 'dmesg' command, b/c I want to know whether or not I'm
correctly identifying the Apple design keyboard.  Oh, you are booting with
all extensions off, right???

I hope this helps and good luck!

Later.