Subject: Re: Q840 ethernet performance?
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/04/1997 16:14:49
On Tue, 4 Nov 1997, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> If you're getting ring overruns, try running w/ cdtrcts.

Ah yes, I forgot that your new driver supports that :)

> As we just got dynamic interrupt level support, the best thing to do might
> be to leave the serial stuff alone, and put ethernet and serial I/O on
> different interrupts.

While I haven't seen the code, I get the impression that the dynamic
interrupt level support just means that it's possible the change what
level splnet(), splimp(), splbio(), etc... are at. That lets you keep
splnet() at 2 and splserial() at 4 for most machines, while having them
both at 4 for the AVs. But on the AVs, both serial and ethernet interrupt
at 4, and that's a hardware thing... nothing you can do about it (that I
know of... I hear some of the Quadras... 700? let you program the hardware
interrupt level of some devices. I don't think there's a way to do that on
th AVs though).

But yeah, it would be nice if serial interrupts just returned, while
network interrupts processed the soft interrupts. Is there a way to go
process soft interrupts from the C side? Or do I change rei from an
_ASM_LABEL() to a _C_LABEL() and call it at the end of the level 4 int
handler?

Dahan: Hani G Y+C 22 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++